Friday, July 2, 2010

C210K

Ok, so in light of the fact that I signed up for a 10k, I figured I better start training for one. Today I downloaded the Couch to 10k program and started basically where I left off on the C25k. However...the running time has drastically increased. C25k has a maximum running time of 35 minutes. Today's workout with the C210k was 68 minutes! I was seriously worried about doubling my normal routine. Surprisingly, I was able to complete the routine and manage to have enough energy to get through the rest of the day. In addition, I marked just a little over 4 miles today!

I do have a small issue. For whatever reason, I don't like running along main streets or where there is a possibility of running into someone I know. That's why I stick to the trails and obscure neighborhoods. Today I started on the Cushman trail and before I knew it, the trail had spit me out onto a main road and I had to follow sidewalks and crosswalks through a main part of town before connecting with the other side of the trail. I was instantly self-conscious. I'm fairly certain I remember sucking my stomach in just a bit further and holding my shoulders back more as I lengthened my stride. Maybe on the off chance that someone I know was driving by? I don't know what it is exactly, but I hate the way it makes me ultra aware of my surroundings. At some point, I forgot about trying not to look stupid and just focused on my run.

Would you believe that tonight after I put J to bed and just sat down to watch a movie (I know, a rocking Friday night at the Babich house!) I got a text from a friend that asked me if I was running near her work today, because she was sure she saw me go by while she was on her lunch break. I told her, yes, it was me and she better have recognized my flattened stomach, great posture and gazelle-like stride!

No comments:

Post a Comment