Saturday, June 16, 2012

Salmon is my frienemy. Watch us feud on TMZ.

DISCLAIMER: If you are wondering why I am blogging the crap out of you lately it is because I have been stuck at home, immobile for days with a bad back. Feel free to send me flowers, gifts, and cold hard cash. I'll wait. Now, standby for an awesome recipe.

If you choose this brand of salmon
there is a good chance it was caught
by my husband.
This may surprise you, but I don't really eat seafood. I simply wasn't raised on it and the only fish I ever ate growing up was canned tuna laden with Miracle Whip (Zing!) slapped between two slices of Wonder bread. Now the smell of Miracle Whip is enough to make me gag. Which is odd, really, you'd think whipped miracles would be heavenly. Whoever came up with that genius marketing ploy should be both praised and slapped. Talk about false advertising. Don't even get me started on that Wonder bread. I'd love to say that I have since evolved into an oyster slurping fiend, but that would be one big (omega-3) fatty ass(id) lie. Maybe it is the texture, or smell, or just the way seafood looks. It just doesn't ring my culinary bell. I did, however, marry a commercial salmon fisherman; proof alone that God has a sense of humor. Thanks for that, big guy.

Being the nutrition and wellness weirdo that I am, I can't really deny the benefits that wild Alaskan (and Washington) salmon offers our bodies. A can of salmon has four times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids than that of a can of tuna. The low down on omega-3's: good for your heart, brain, bone, joints and a whole list of other body parts. Why am I talking about canned? Because I take baby steps, people, baby steps.

I am happy to report that this particular land-food only girl has found a way to get my salmon and eat it too. Here is a kick-ass recipe that I know you will love. If you are a salmon virgin, this just may be the meal you need to pop your salmon cherry.


Black Bean & Salmon Tostadas

From EatingWell:  January/February 2010


Pickled jalapeños, cilantro and avocado perk up convenient canned salmon for a quick tostada topping. Skip store-bought and make your own crispy shells in the oven. Serve with: Brown rice cooked with diced tomatoes and onions or salsa.
4 servings, 2 tostadas each Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients

  • 8 6-inch corn tortillas
  • Canola oil cooking spray
  • 1 6- to 7-ounce can boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapeños, plus 2 tablespoons pickling juice from the jar, divided
  • 2 cups coleslaw mix (see Tip) or shredded cabbage
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons prepared salsa
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • Lime wedges (optional)

Preparation

  1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 375°F.
  2. Coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Place on 2 baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until light brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
  3. Combine salmon, avocado and jalapeños in a bowl. Combine cabbage, cilantro and the pickling juice in another bowl. Process black beans, sour cream, salsa and scallions in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on High until hot, about 2 minutes.
  4. To assemble tostadas, spread each tortilla with some bean mixture and some salmon mixture and top with the cabbage salad. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.

Nutrition

Per serving : 319 Calories; 11 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 6 g Mono; 16 mg Cholesterol; 43 g Carbohydrates; 16 g Protein; 12 g Fiber; 352 mg Sodium; 670 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat

Tips & Notes

  • Kitchen tip: Look for convenient preshredded cabbage-and-carrot “coleslaw mix” near other prepared vegetables in the produce section of the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment