Thursday, July 18, 2013

Don't read this blog! It's about you...

Any time I need to amp up my writing skills, I try to use writing prompts to get my creative juices flowing. One of my favorite websites for prompts is plinky.com. With the upcoming anthology, I really need to work on my writing skills. And Facebook status updates don't count. So after a too long hiatus of quality writing, I have committed myself to daily literary exercises. The Plinky prompt I received in my email inbox recently was this: Who is the one person you do not want to read your blog? Why?

This is an interesting question for me. I often times find myself censoring my blog posts or writing cryptically about a situation as to avoid someone connecting the dots on a story being about them. I have no idea if I am successful in this effort. I also have plenty of saved drafts that never made it to publication because there was simply no way to spin the story into a generic blog post. Or sometimes I am simply too annoyed to write with any decorum.

To me, writing is a symbol of freedom. A freedom of expression that can either be private or public depending on how transparent you want to be. Would I share the same feelings in my blog that I do with my best friend? Well, I haven't so far. If it were that easy to be honest about my feelings, I would either have much stronger relationships or none at all. So, who is the one person that I would not want to read my blog? No one. But, I do believe this is a challenge for me to be more expressive in my relationships. After all, I would much rather hear from a good friend, face-to-face, how she is feeling about me than read it in a public blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment